Many of the images that come immediately to mind when someone says “Walt Disney World” are of animated characters, Cinderella’s Castle, Mickey Mouse….kids stuff, right?
Well believe it or not, there are lots of rides at WDW made to satisfy those of us who are legally old enough to drive/vote/drink.
And without further adieu, I present the Top 5 “adult friendly” WDW thrills:
5. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is a wild west themed roller coaster where you board a train shaped car and are warned to “hang onto your hats and glasses ’cause this here’s the wildest ride in the wilderness.”
It’s certainly not the world’s fastest or highest coaster, but its tight, sharp turns and drops are not to be missed (its my personal favorite!)
4. Splash Mountain: This log flume ride is based on the 1946 Disney film “Song of the South”, and it features the antics of Brer Fox, Brer Rabbit, and Brer Bear. Pretty corny stuff, but it tells a nice story throughout the line queue and the ride itself features a 52 foot plunge at the end into the briar patch.
3. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror takes passengers on a ride in a creepy freight elevator in the abandoned Hollywood Tower Hotel. Even the WDW cast members are creepy in this ride…the elevator drops several times suddenly, and at alarming speed. I love this ride, and the Twilight Zone theme music sticks with me for days after and gives me chills!
2. Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith is a relatively new addition to WDW, a coaster with limo shaped cars (for getting you to the Aerosmith show VIP style), bursts off from 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds…so fast that your head snaps back into the seat (furnished with speakers blasting Aerosmith music, of course). The coaster is fast and fun, and even goes upside down as you race to get to the concert on time
1. Space Mountain: is a high-speed attraction that is themed about what else? The Space Age (the idea originates from Walt himself!). Its a fast moving coaster set in the dark, swerving through the stars and galaxies.
I first rode this at age 4…my dad was thrilled that I was tall enough…it scared the living crap out of me and I cried. I got over this fear quickly though, and its one of my favorites, a classic for sure.
These are just the top 5 adult thrills…everyone is different, so why not go to WDW and figure out what thrills you?